SATUS PASS – US 97 will reopen between Toppenish and Goldendale at noon today, July 31. The highway has been closed for a week due to the Mile Marker 28 Fire.
Drivers should expect delays of up to one hour while a pilot car guides traffic through a 7-mile stretch of US 97 from the Yakima/Klickitat county line to Satus Pass.
The speed limit will also be reduced to 40 mph along 13 miles of US 97 between the Yakima/Klickitat county line and Allen Creek Road.
The Washington State Department of Transportation offers tools to help travelers find more information and navigate southern Washington:
- Map your detour route
- Check WSDOT’s US 97 closure Web page
- Call the US 97 closure hotline: 509-577-1617
- View current conditions on Satus Pass
- Check WSDOT traffic alerts
- Follow WSDOT on Twitter @WSDOT_SW
- View photos on Flickr
- View fire updates on InciWeb
- Contact the Incident Management Team: 509-773-7136
The Mile Marker 28 Fire started around 11 a.m. Wednesday, July 24. The fire began threatening US 97 later that day, WSDOT closed the highway between Goldendale and Toppenish at 3:30 p.m. The highway remained closed until noon today.